Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Friday, June 17, 2016

Living in the Eye of the Storm





Ps 18:2-6

2 The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. 3 I call to the Lord,who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies. 4 The cords of death entangled me;the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. 5 The cords of the grave coiled around me;the snares of death confronted me. 6 In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears. (NIV)


I am blessed to live in sunny Florida- a place where I have been known to lay out in the sun on Christmas Day and get a lovely glow!  Just a short drive from my home, I can dig my toes in the pristine, sugar-white sandy beaches, as the beautiful, aquamarine water laps gently on the seashore.  The crashing sound of the surf soothes my soul.  The cry of seagulls completes the symphony of tranquility that I can enjoy.

All of these are benefits of living in a sunny, peninsular paradise.  But then...there are the hurricanes.  During those times, the water is no longer a haven, but a freeway for destruction. Torrential floods, tornadic winds, power outages, all are a huge downside to living in a coastal area.

As Christians, we abide in the sun of hope that is found in Jesus, our Savior.  We enjoy His presence, His peace, His joy.  And we are thankful.  But just as I can come to take my geographical location for granted, I can take the blessings of God for granted.  I can get an entitlement attitude where I feel like I "deserve" to live in a bubble of protection where no harm can befall me.  But such is the not the case of life.  Real life is a mixture of good and bad, joy and pain, sunshine and rain.  What do I do when the storms of life press in?

Ryan Stevenson's "Eye of the Storm" says it so poignantly:
"In the eye of the storm, You remain in control
And in the middle of the war, You guard my soul
You alone are the anchor, when my sails are torn
Your love surrounds me in the eye of the storm"


(Read more at http://www.lyrics.com/eye-of-the-storm-feat-gabereal-lyrics-ryan-stevenson.html#x0ABmDHSmXtKugd3.99)



When a hurricane presses down on the panhandle, we gather our supplies and we batten down our hatches. We hunker in.  (Whatever all that means!)  We run for a place of safety- a sturdy building.   When a hurricane of life comes our way,  we must run into the Rock of Ages.  We must take refuge in the Name of Jesus, our High Tower!



Life has been pressing down on my family for a while.  When it seems the storm is abating, we hear a new wind kicking up again.  It is disheartening.  It is frightening.  But I take great solace in knowing that His love always surrounds us.  Even if we are in the "eye of the storm."


Dear Lord, I pray today for others who are hurting.  Please comfort the mourning and dejected, please bind up the broken hearted and offer joy and peace to those who feel that they are without hope today.  Help us to find our way to the ark of safety, the protection that is in your Word and in the Name of Jesus.  Hide us, O Rock of Salvation, until the danger passes!  In Your mighty name, I pray.  Amen.




© Sherri Evans Ministries 2016. All rights reserved. Used by permission. For booking schedule and information: sherrievans@sherrievansministries.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.