Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

In Season


 
     

    2 Tim 4:2

Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.


NKJV

 

As a minister, this passage often intimidates me.  The very idea of being ready to fill the pulpit at a moment's notice is intimidating.  I like to spend days- if not weeks- researching, studying  and preparing a sermon, but sometimes, there just is not time for all of that.

Frankly, such is the case for all Christians.  We must be ready in season and out of season.  We should be just as prepared to share our testimony in the beauty shop as we are in the doctor's office while we are sick.  We need to be willing to pray for a sick person in line at Wal-Mart or on the ball field.  Doing the work of the ministry, in all of its forms, is not merely for Sunday within the four walls of the church  In fact, if we look at Jesus' ministry, not much of it occurred within the synagogue.  We see Him ministering on the hillside, in a boat, walking from town to town, at a friend's house... You get the picture.  Yes!  I know He is God.  But He is our example too.  That is why we should never meet a day without spending time in His presence to refuel for the day's opportunities and obstacles.  He does not always provide opportunities when we feel ready, but rather when He is ready.

For years I prayed for more regular opportunities to minister.  And I waited.  And waited.  And waited.  Then I suffered a miscarriage that left me anemic enough to be on total bed rest for a week or two.  After that, my body continued to struggle to regain strength for several weeks.  My body was shocked.  My heart was broken.  Then the Lord opened the door for opportunities to minister.  At that point, I honestly had no interest in ministering. I felt wounded, like I needed to be ministered to, but God knew what He was doing.  He always does.  He may stretch us, but it is only so we can see Him display His majesty in us against the backdrop of our weakness and limits.

He will equip us.  He will lead and guide us.  But we still must answer the call to be ready- instant in season and out of season.  You hunters know what you need to keep in your truck during deer season, so if the opportunity arises, you are ready. In the Kingdom of God, it is always in season to reap a harvest, whether we recognize the season or not.

Dear Lord, help me to be ready regardless of the season.  Equip and prepare me, O God, and help me to be sensitive to your leading.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.