Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Rejoicing in the Shadows


    

 

 

Ps 63:7-8

 

7 Because You have been my help,

Therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice.

8 My soul follows close behind You;

Your right hand upholds me.

NKJV

 

Everyone needs a champion. There is a time that we all face circumstances bigger than ourselves.  We go through things that we do not have the strength, wisdom or coping skills to endure.  There are things that knock our feet out from under us and leave us feeling like a little boy or girl who needs Daddy or Mama to come to the rescue.

During those times, the Lord  is a faithful source of help and strength.   He knows everything that will come our way and has the power to help us through it all.  I love the part that says, "...in the shadow  of Your wings I rejoice."  I also love in the New  Testament when Jesus compared the Father to a mother hen- He talked about how God wanted to gather Jerusalem to him under the protection of His  wings to comfort them, but they would not allow it.  We can be like the people in Jesus' day  and refuse His help, or we can be like the Psalmist and choose to rejoice  in the shadow of His wings.

In the shadow of His wings we are close to the heart of the Father.  Anyone- or anything-  that approaches us is pushed back by His awesome power.  He watches carefully over  us, guarding us, defending us  and comforting us.  Under the shadow of His wings is a place of safety- and rejoicing.  It is important to our relationship with God and to our faith to be careful to praise Him when He comes through for us.

When our soul follows  close after Him, He will uphold us with His right  hand.   He will keep us from stumbling or falling, regardless of the terrain.

A  while back my husband and I were  walking through a wooded area, thick with underbrush.  My husband had on jeans and work books.  I, on the other hand, had on capri's and flip flops.  I was ill-equipped for the challenge that I faced.  But because he loves me that big 6-foot-four man walked in front of me, kicking down the briars, pushing back trees limbs, and when needed, catching me by the arm when I stepped in holes hidden by the  vegetation.  That is the very picture of us and the Father.  He sees all of the pitfalls, He walks ahead and beats a path for us, and He catches us when all else fails.

Regardless of what you are facing today, there is a God who will hide you safely until the trial has passed.  He will draw you into a loving Father-embrace.   Allow yourself to be hidden in Him.  Choose for your soul to follow close behind Him that He might hold you upright.

Dear Lord, please help me to  always remember my dependence on you and my need for Your protection and strength.  Touch those today  who are afraid and allow them to feel your love, protection and strength all around.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.