Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Friday, December 13, 2013

Undefiled Religion


 
    

    

James 1:27

 

Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

NKJV

 

As a little girl, my denomination had a children's program for girls with a focus on missions.  I always enjoyed learning about foreign lands and customs, but to be honest, I never had a passion for it.  I did, however, have a great passion for the local church.  We all have our gifts and burdens.  I believe the Lord hard-wires us that way to find the direction He has for our lives.

But there are some aspects of outreach that are for every believer.  We are all supposed to "go into all the world and preach the gospel."  This Great Commission is part and parcel for Christianity.  But we also have to have general compassion ministries where we show love and concern for the vulnerable- the disabled, the infirm, the widows, and the orphans.   These people move the heart of God and they must move our hearts as well.  Serving others is the lifestyle of a true believer.

Tomorrow I will join countless others who are taking part in Operation Christmas child.  It is an opportunity to help bless a needy child at Christmas.  I am excited about the opportunity to serve in such a worthy cause.  It is a feel-good thing to help someone.  But we must recognize that it was never intended to be a sporadic "missions trip" but rather,  a lifestyle.  We must find a way to reach those in need as we live our everyday lives.   In addition, it is important to purposefully avail ourselves to the larger causes.

Dear Lord, help me to be a person of impact in my community and in the world.  Help me to always remember to be Your hand extended.  Anoint me to do the work that you have for me to do.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.