Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Settling Your Account


"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.” Hebrews 4:13


 

OK- so I know I talked about this passage of Scripture yesterday, but I just cannot move past it.  After I hit the publish button yesterday, the part about “to whom we must give account” leapt off the page at me.  So here we are again revisiting this sobering passage.

So much of the issues in this life feel like it is a matter between us and someone else- our boss, our spouse, our kids, the person who cuts us off in traffic.  But the truth of the matter is, no matter what I am doing, or who is involved, it is about me and God.  He is the one to whom I MUST give account.  Notice the imperative in that.  We do not get to opt in and out of giving an account, it is a must, and therefore will surely happen.  I will answer to him for my choices, my attitudes and my behaviors.  The why behind what I do?  It is all laid bare before Him.  Unvarnished, unembellished, the dirty rotten truth. 

Once the Lord gave me a beautiful “vision” of His grace and mercy.  I saw a person as being dressed in dirty, stained clothing.  The person in my vision wanted desperately to pull something clean on over the clothes.  But that would not do.  First, the dirty and stained garments must be removed.  At that moment, the person is naked and vulnerable before the Lord.  This is the part we often struggle with- being vulnerable and dependent.  We want to cover our shame and nakedness with something.   But then I saw the best part. Just like a toddler we take out of the bathtub and wrap in a large, warm and comfy towel, the Lord stands ready to “throw his mercy” over us.  He wants to remove the garments stained by sin, clean us up and put His robes of righteousness upon us.  Yes, we must face the naked truth.  Yes, it is all laid bare before Him.  Yes, we must give account.  But we could choose instead to have the precious, cleansing blood of Jesus applied.  That will cover and cleanse it all.

Dear Lord, I want to be clean inside and out.  Help me always be mindful of my need to give an account to you.  Help me to be willing to be vulnerable and clean.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Sherri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.