Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, March 25, 2013

The Holy Polygraph


 

 

"For this is the message you have heard from the beginning:  You should love one another. Do not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and murdered his brother.  And why did he murder him?  Because his own actions were evil and his brother's righteous.  Do not be surprised, my brothers and sisters, if the world hates you.  We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers.  Anyone who does not love remains in death.  Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him.  This is how we know what love is:  Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.  And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.  If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?  Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.  This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his  presence..."  I John 3:11-19

 

I just love the wording of verse 19.  Have you ever needed to "set your heart at rest" in the presence of God?  Boy, have I !  There are times I have felt uneasy in his presence.  I know I have done wrong, I feel he is mad at me, conviction is beating a staccato beat in my heart.  Condemnation is giving me a black eye.  What a relief to be at rest and at peace before the Lord!

You see, we cannot transgress against God's law of love and it not cause unrest in our spirit. He is love.  When we fail to operate in love, we feel that prick of conscience, we feel out of step with His Spirit.  This truth is the basis of the "lie detector" test.  We were made to feel uncomfortable when we go against the conscience he has given us.  We sweat, our heart raises, we feel jittery- all these physiological responses testify against our actions!

Studying the Word of God is the best way to know his will and his ways.  But the Holy Spirit is also our constant companion and teacher.  He walks with us each step of every day, bringing conviction when our attitudes, thoughts or actions are wrong.  It is like having the luxury of a personal trainer! 

Dear Lord, thank you for allowing me to feel dis-rest and conviction when I sin against you.  Help me to be a good student and listen to the cues of your prompting in my heart  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

Sherri

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.