Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Friday, March 8, 2013

Transformation



"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!  And that is what we are!  The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.  Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known.  But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.  Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure.  Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.  But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins.  And in him is no sin.  Dear children, do not let anyone lead  you astray. he who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.  He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning.  The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work.  No one who is born of God  will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in him, he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. "  I John 3:1-8

How many times have I made a resolution to myself?  From now on I am going to clean out the fridge every weekend.  From now on, I am going to eat more whole grains and limit myself to one diet Coke a day.  I am going to record all receipts in my ledger every day... The list is endless of good decisions that I make, but lack the fortitude to carry out.  Resolutions, once made, do not happen on auto-pilot.  They are a result of  a multiplicity of decisions.  Yes, I decide to have only the one diet Coke a day.  But then, when I am nauseous, I  have to decide if I really will drink water.  Later, when I am eating lunch in a restaurant, I have to decide to drink water, even  if it tastes nasty, like chlorine (I have a deep well at home.)  Then later, I drive by Sonic and realize it is "happy hour".  Once again, I must make the decision.  Am I going to drink a bottle of water, or 'drive-in' for a Diet Coke with vanilla?  Just like that, my resolution fails at numerous points of the day.  (What is your diet Coke dilemma?)

The decision to become a Christian and follow God is a solitary decision, that is unlike any other decision.  In choosing to become a believer, God extends special grace to us, making us a "new creation."  It is a supernatural transaction, all based in his provision.  Salvation is a concert of God's grace, mercy, the drawing of the Holy Spirit, conviction of the Holy Spirit, the "measure of faith" being activated in our lives, etc...  The list of components are endless.  The primary actions that are our responsibility is to have faith (believe) and confess our sins, asking him to  come in.  All the rest is on his side.  His sacrifice on the cross. Preparing our hearts to receive the Word... Wooing us and seeking after us...

Because the event of salvation is so God-breathed upon, it has the power to make a permanent change in us.  We are granted a new character, we have new desires and we have a new roommate- Jesus lives in our heart!  In addition, the Spirit of God walks beside us, instructing and correcting us.

No, when we receive Christ, it is much different than other decision. The supernatural seed, or germ, of God comes to live in our hearts!  Doesn't that just boggle your mind?!  His seed takes root inside of us and begins to grow and blossom into  an undeniable transformation!

If you believe that you have made a choice to follow God, but have no grace or strength to live for him, I encourage you to reflect on today's verses.  Ask God to show you why you are not showing a difference in your life.  If there is a breakdown, or disconnect, we have to accept that it is on our part. 

There are many people who walk the aisle at church and say the sinner's prayer.  Some of them you can see an immediate change.  Others, it seems like they are living my "diet Coke" story.  They make a decision, but have no follow-through.  When that happens, we have to wonder if the person was acting in their own strength, or if God was really at work in their commitment.  Choosing to be born again will bring a drastic change.

Dear Lord, I pray today for my friends who are struggling with truly living for you.  If they have failed to make a true commitment to you, I ask that you show them and draw them into true salvation and life transformation.  If they are just continually making wrong choices, I ask that you convict them and help there to be a desire in their heart to truly live for you, producing fruit in keeping with repentance.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.