Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Excuse Me, Do You Have Blood on Your Hands?




 

"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God. But every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.  You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.  They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them.  We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us.  This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood." I John 4:1-6

 

 

Lately I have heard of preachers burning out and giving up right and left.  Why?  Because it is tiring and disheartening to labor to proclaim  a truth that no one wants to hear.  But proclaim it we must!  As believers we have a duty to be a witness, a voice of truth and a herald of the Good News of the kingdom of God.  We simply must tell about what we have seen, heard, and experienced God doing in the world.

 

Many of us bail on the idea of witnessing because we do not want to fail.  But this passage, like so many others, outlines our part.  Our part is to tell.  Whether or not our intended audience will listen, is up to the them.   But being a witness is our part. 

 

There are passages of Scripture that stick to me more than others. The one that comes to mind in this instance is Ezekiel 37:17-18, "Son  of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give the warning from me.   When I say to a wicked man, 'You will surely die', and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood."  Wow.  This is a jaw-dropping verse.  The person who failed to tell the truth, to give the warning, will have to give an account for the blood of the wicked.  What if they will not listen?  Then they will pay for their deeds, but our hands are free of their blood.

 

At the end of the day, isn't it about standing before the Lord with clean hands and a pure heart?  Maybe we will not be appreciated.  Maybe we will not be heard.  But picture this scenario.  The rapture has occurred, the Church  has gone to be with Jesus.  Those left behind begin to say, "Why didn't someone tell me?!  If only I had known..."  What a tragedy that will be if it is a person from our family, our neighbor, our job.  Conversely, imagine this scene:  A person is left behind, and they cry aloud "Oh Lord, forgive me!  I did not listen when Jim told me about you.  I did not pray when Tina asked me to pray with them. "  The tale is still tragic and heart-wrenching, but notice the difference in the two.  The second person heard, and had an opportunity to make a sound decision, whereas the first was denied that right.  By you.  By me.

 

But thank the Lord, the Word of God is powerful and effective.  Until the time that Jesus gathers us unto himself, the Word will continue to go forth and people will hear and choose him.  Not all will listen, hear, or heed.  But let us  endeavor to be faithful "tellers".  Our job is to tell, we are not responsible for the outcome, be it good or bad.

 

 

Dear God, have mercy on me for those I have failed to tell.  Forgive me for taking your command lightly.  Help me,  Lord, to avoid having blood on my hands.  Embolden me to speak  your Word.    In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

 

Sherri

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.