Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Is This For Real?


 

 


 

"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. "  I John 4:1


 

We live in the information age.  Too much information, in fact.  We can pull up random facts on the internet, we can go to a book store and be overwhelmed by choices of materials on any given subject.  We can watch TV preachers, catch iPod webcasts and follow their latest blogs or tweets.  This is a good thing, right?  Maybe.

There are many voices. But all are not true. How do we know who is legit and who is a faker?  As born again children of God, we have the indwelling, empowering teacher of the Holy Spirit.  He is active and relevant, participating in our everyday life.  He informs us when the information that we are taking in is incorrect or untrue. 

One way that he does this is by bringing Scripture to our remembrance so that we can apply truth to our current situation.  But we have our part to play, as well.  If he is going to bring it to our remembrance, we must first input it into our memory by being a student of the Word.  Other times, he allows us to feel an unrest or lack of peace  in our spirit.  We do not know why, but we simply cannot feel good about their message.  This is for our benefit.

I can readily think of at least two examples in my life where the Holy Spirit has done this for me.  Once, I had bought a book written by a pastor I did not know well.  As I read the book, I just did not "jive"  with its message, although I could not put my finger on the reason why.  Later, when I was exposed to his television ministry I felt my skin almost crawl with a knowing that he was putting on a show, rather than being sincere.  Was I judging?  I do not believe so, because my disrest came from somewhere outside of me.  Another time I was enamored with a pastor that I felt was so powerful and in tune with God, but every time I attended service at their church, I just could not feel comfortable being there.  I later heard of some incorrect teaching that was being preached from the pulpit.  We need the Holy Spirit to keep us out of trouble!

Dear Lord, guide me, teach me and grant me discernment.   In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

Sherri

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.