Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

You Ought to Do It




 

"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God. But every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.  You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.  They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them.  We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us.  This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.  Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God.  Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.  Whoever does not love does not know God, because God  is love. This is how God showed his love: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love:  not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.  Dear friends, since God so loved us,  we also ought to love one another." I John 4:1-11

 

We ought to love one another.  I know that; you know that.  But can we be real for a moment?  It is not always fun to do! And to be really real, some days I flat don't want to love.  How about you?  There are some people that just rub me the wrong way.  (And I am sure I rub some people the wrong way as well.)  We all have our pet peeves.  For me, my number one pet peeve is people acting presumptuously.  I try very hard to never presume upon someone and it irks me to no end when someone acts presumptuously with me.  I also dislike people who do not have manners.  Don't tell me to pass the salt, ask me!  Now as you sit there and judge me, you must understand two things:  1)  I am only sharing trivial examples with you because I do not want you to know how messed up I am; and 2) Your things are just as bad as mine!

 

I know the Bible tells us to love.  It is a commandment and it is one I am not going to get around.  If I want him to be pleased with me, I cannot say the smart remarks I want to. I do not get to have the last word.  I do not get to point out every way a person wrongs me.  Because I gave my life away, I have to make sure that I don't take the reins of my life back from God. 

 

My only point today is to say that I get how difficult an assignment this is!  But it is a requirement, nonetheless.  Like the Apostle Paul, I am a chief among sinners.  I fail, I fall short, and I am just plain carnal.  So how can I withhold forgiveness from others when I so strongly rely on the Lord's grace and forgiveness?  Because he loves and forgives me, I must pay it forward.  I am not being especially pious  or virtuous when I do it.  It is just something I ought to do.  Sometimes it takes more prayer and conscious effort, but I purpose in my heart to love.

 

Dear Lord, forgive me when I have an unloving heart or attitude.  Help me to walk in the love you have demonstrated to me.  Help me to show your love to the world.    In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

 

Sherri

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.