Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Ministry of the Holy Spirit




 


"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God. But every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.  You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.  They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them.  We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us.  This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.  Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God.  Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.  Whoever does not love does not know God, because God  is love. This is how God showed his love: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love:  not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.  Dear friends, since God so loved us,  we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if  we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.  We know that we live in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit." I John  4:1-13

 

The Holy Spirit is given to us as a "seal".  His presence is proof that we have  received salvation from Christ. Just as when you go in an amusement park, or concert,  a stamp proves you have paid and have a right to be there; the presence of the Holy Spirit is proof we are born again. 

 

I am so grateful that we do not have to walk alone.  Jesus comes to live in our heart.  He sends us the Holy Spirit to be a constant companion, teacher and comforter.  What a power package salvation is!  We are in the body of Christ, he is in our heart.  All of those wonderful prepositions show us our position in Christ.  So much of it is a marvelous mystery that I am convinced we will only fully understand when we reach heaven.

 

There are many times in life that I am tempted to doubt my salvation.  I fail, sin, or fall short and the enemy of my soul begins to whisper that I am not really saved; that I am not really right in God's  eyes.  It is at those moments that I am so grateful for the ministry of the Holy Spirit, who confirms to my Spirit that I am indeed in Christ and he is waiting to forgive and restore me fully.  His  Spirit reminds me of passages that tell me that I am the "righteousness of God in Christ Jesus."  The Holy Spirit is a powerful teacher and counselor, always directing me in the way that I should go.

 

Do you struggle with condemnation, feeling constantly unworthy and unsaved?  Begin to heed the voice of the Holy Spirit.  If you have strayed, he will convict you and guide you back to the path of righteousness. If you are in right standing with God, he will grant you confidence of your position.  The Holy Spirit is your ally.  He is your resource.  He is your helper.  He is Almighty God!   Take time today to appreciate the presence of the Holy Spirit in your life.

 

Dear Lord, thank you for the gift of your Holy Spirit.  Thank you for all of the messes you spare me from and for all of the direction you provide to me.  Help me to live open to your voice.      In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

 

Sherri

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.