Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Friday, April 12, 2013

The Gift of Love




 

"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God. But every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.  You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.  They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them.  We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us.  This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.  Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God.  Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.  Whoever does not love does not know God, because God  is love. This is how God showed his love: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him" I John 4:1-9

 

 

In Gary Chapman's Book,  The Five Love Languages, one of the five "love languages" is giving and receiving gifts.  And let's be honest, who doesn't enjoy a gift?  It does not have to be expensive to be heart-warming.  While we were dating, my husband would often bring me a little brown bag of red hot jaw breakers.  It just cost a few cents- but it  made a big impression on me.  Since then, there have been a few times he has surprised me with a little gift bag of red hots, and it made me feel as giddy as a school girl!  We just like to be thought of; we enjoy being singled out for personal attention.  In fact, the more personal the better!  If we know someone well, we can usually think of several gifts we can get for them.  A person in love becomes fluent  in their lover's language, that they may express their love in a meaningful manner.

 

I have known of husbands and wives who send flowers for no occasion at all, just to show their love.  These gifts often mean a lot because they are surprised at work by a delivery man, and everyone comes flocking to see who got the flowers!  In turn, they feel special and important...

 

When God had you on his mind, he began  to ask, "What can I send Belinda to show my love?" Or perhaps,  "What can I send Tony that will show him I am for him and not against him?"  And then God thinks, "I have the very thing.  It is my most prized possession.  I will send my only son.  Surely then they will know I love them!"

 

God loved us so much he sent his precious Son.  As a parent, I wrestle with this thought.  It is hard to understand how he could love me enough to send his own child for me.  And then I remember.  I am his own child.  Created in his image.  Made for his glory.  I am a sinner. I am so flawed; but to him, somehow I am precious.  Doesn't that just boggle your mind that he traded his very best for the likes of you (and me?!)

 

The other beautiful side to this coin is that Jesus willingly came.  He willingly laid down his life for us.  No one required it of him.  It was a free-will offering.  Why?  Because he shares the heart of the Father and saw our need.

 

He came and died that we might live.  He was rejected that we might be accepted.  He was despised that we might find favor.  He "so loved" us that in order that we may find a way to love him!  What a beautiful gift.  What a sacrifice.  A gift that is both thoughtful and pragmatic!  Thank  God that his love language includes speaking the gift of his son to us.

 

Imagine  you were on a waiting list for an organ and someone died and left it to you. Wouldn't you feel an obligation to somehow pay them back by making your life count?  He died so that you might live.  Is there something you could give to Jesus?  Is   there a sacrifice that you could make for him?

 

Thank you, God, for the gift of your son.   Thank you, Jesus, for being a ready and willing substitute.  Help me to bring you a return for your investment.  Help my life make a difference to others.    In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

 

Sherri

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.