Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, November 4, 2013

A Balanced Testimony


"Everything is permissible- but not everything is beneficial.      Everything is permissible- but not everything is constructive." 

I Cor. 10:23 (NIV)


The age old dance between legalism and license is an interesting, and challenging, balancing act.  In Christ I am free.  But I am not free to do whatever my flesh desires.  I am free, but not free to re-enter bondage.   I am set free to choose to follow Him.

Some Christians are hung up on a lot of rule-making and following.  Don't go here.  Don't wear that.  Don't say this.  Whereas, other Christians seem to have virtually no  convictions at all.  Smoking, drinking, partying, cussing  and extra-marital flirting. Surely, surely there is a middle ground.

The grace of God frees us from a law whose weight we are not able to uphold. But it never freed us to live sloppily and in a worldly way.  What benefit do you,  or others, receive from your freedom? Our freedom means that we live Godly lifestyles because our love for him inspires obedience to His  Word.  His grace grants us the ability to say "no" to our fleshly,  carnal desire; and emboldens us to say "yes" to self-control, obedience and holiness. 

I have been around  both types of Christians, and occasionally have acted like either side.  Finding the balance will be a lifelong endeavor for all of us. We  have to find a way to be the Church in the world.  We must be  different and set apart.  And yet, we must be relevant and relatable.  Would sinners find you so holy that you are unapproachable?  Or do they see you as someone who does not challenge them at all?

I was recently in a women's conference, where the speaker was sharing about riding on an airplane with a fellow lady preacher. She stated that the stewardess came up to her and asked her, "Who is  that lady you are with?  I used to follow God, but I have walked away.  Her presence convicts me." They went on to lead that lady back to the Lord.   I have thought about that many times since I heard it.  Does my presence convict others of sin?  Does it inspire them to want to come to me and ask me the reason for my hope?  Or instead, do I fit in without making any impact whatsoever?  Or worse,  is  my testimony a repellent?  I urge you, today, to ask yourself these hard questions.

Dear Lord, forgive me for failing to have enough of your presence in my life, that others  are convicted of their sin.  Help me to be salt and light.  Help me to offer something the world desires.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.