Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Friday, November 22, 2013

Offering Thanksgiving


 

    

Lev 7:11-12

 

11 And this is the law of the sacrifice of peace offerings, which he shall offer unto the LORD.

12 If he offer it for a thanksgiving, then he shall offer with the sacrifice of thanksgiving unleavened cakes mingled with oil, and unleavened wafers anointed with oil, and cakes mingled with oil, of fine flour, fried.

KJV


 

All the times that I have read the Bible through I have been amazed by the sacrifice and offering requirements of the Old Testament.  Not because I thought they were awesome- but because the very idea of such an intricate task overwhelmed me.  I cannot imagine what it was like living under the Law, but I am so grateful for the sacrifice that Jesus made that utterly fulfilled the law!  The sacrifice that freed me to walk in grace.

But of course, the principles behind the Old Testament Law are instructive for us today. They symbolize powerful aspects of the believer's heritage in Christ and of the Kingdom of God.  They help us remember what it took to become holy and blameless in the sight of an altogether Holy God.

Our pastor, when he came to our church, began the practice of a Thanksgiving offering the Sunday before Thanksgiving.  Perhaps you do something similar as well.  At first the idea seemed a little foreign, but there is also something fitting about giving to honor the One who gave so much! 

We can, and should, say a simple prayer of Thanksgiving as we celebrate.  But there is also something beautiful about bringing an offering as well.  Perhaps you know a family in need that you could share food with- or a local food pantry.  Perhaps you feel led to bless a man or woman of God and their family with pantry items.  Maybe you feel compelled to give a special offering at church.  Regardless of how you celebrate, be sure that your celebration truly focuses on the Lord.  We make a tragic mistake when we enjoy the blessings but neglect our "Blesser".

Dear Lord, thank you for all that you provided.  As I enter this season of Thanksgiving, help me to live in an attitude of gratitude and show me how I can be a blessing  and acknowledge that to You. In Jesus' Name.  Amen.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.