Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Thursday, November 28, 2013

So Much More than Food


 

 

"For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit,"  Romans 14:17


 

Happy Thanksgiving!  The turkey is  prepared to bake,  the chicken and dressing are ready for the oven.  Cakes, pies and congealed salads are prepared waiting for the right moment.  Ingredients for special casseroles sit upon my counter tops.  Everything is in readiness for the Thanksgiving meal.   What a feast it will be!  A dining experience anticipated year round.

As I contemplate my blessings today, I am reminded that there are others in this world- people that God loves just as much as He does me- who do not have lavish provisions.  They would not have the food in a month that we will sit upon the table this one day.  I am humbled  by my blessings and so grateful for God's provision.

But as wonderful- and delicious- as that all is, it is just food.  A source of sustenance and thank God for that!  But ultimately it is food that will be consumed over the next few days and then forgotten.   All except the pound or two that we pick up from our indulgence.  But what about the real blessings in life?  The things that dive beneath the tangible into the realm of the supernatural?  The everlasting?  If only I could quantify the number of prayers answered in the last 365 days.  If only I could weigh the grace, joy  and peace that I have received!  The righteousness that has been credited to me by Almighty God because of His  sacrifice!  How can I ever begin  to describe to you the ways that the Lord has led me this year?

The Kingdom of God is so much more than food and drink!  And although I am moved, humbled and grateful for those blessings, they just do not compare!  My salvation- the ability to avoid  eternity in hell- is so much deeper, sweeter and satisfying.  It is a gift, a blessing, that I did nothing to  deserve.  Knowing that makes it even more precious to me!

So, today as you recount God's material blessings in your life, count high and long!  He deserves your thanksgiving!  But go beyond that.  Begin to recall all His manifold blessings- both spiritual and temporal.  Remember your Source and rejoice!

Dear Lord, I pray a blessing on all that read this today.  Flood  our mind with memories, knowledge and understanding of all the blessings that we enjoy in You.  Help us to understand Your love- how deep, wide and all encompassing that it is.  Anoint us to praise and thank You as you deserve.  In Jesus  Name.  Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.