Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Tell-Tale Fruit


 

   

Matt 12:33

 

33 "Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit.

NKJV

 

The Bible is very plain that we should not judge.  But verses like this one indicates to me that, to a certain degree, we can  judge the fruit a person is bearing.  Truth is, everyone is constantly making judgments  on the type of person that we are based on our words and behaviors.  I think that we make excuses to ourselves about why we do what we do, forgetting that the world is not looking at us with the same rose-colored glasses.  Instead, they see the bare truth.

There are many "Christians" who readily "Praise God" and then immediately break forth into cussing the very next sentence.  They live their lives as if the Bible is not their standard  of conduct, but rather, live according to the dictates of society.  One Facebook status will be a prayer, then next,  a half-naked picture.  When I see this stuff my mind goes, "Tilt, tilt,  does not compute."  How does a person profess to be  a Christian, but have no conviction when they are sinning and hurting their testimony?  How do they not hear the absolute contradiction, if not hypocrisy in their words?!

Understand my heart.  I know we are all human.  We all slip up,  make mistakes, and exhibit poor judgment.  But that is not what I am talking about.  I am talking about those whose tree NEVER bears evidence that they are a peach or apple tree.  Or worse yet, bears fruit that would make you doubt they are what their words promise.  Is there consistent pure, sweet, fruit?  If not, the tree is fairly useless  for  its original purpose.

I once knew a person who seemingly only ever said cruel, hateful and manipulative comments.  In time, I began to wonder about their claim of Christianity.  Shouldn't a well with sweet water occasionally demonstrate sweetness and purity? (At least,  at a minimum.)

How about you?  Is your fruit in keeping with your profession? Let us choose to judge ourselves so that we can avoid being unfavorably judged by others, or worse yet- by God.

Dear Lord, forgive me for the times that my behavior disputes my claims of Christianity.  Lord, please help me to bear fruit that brings you glory.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.