Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Today's Bread


 

    

Matt 6:11

 

11 Give us this day our daily bread.

KJV

 

Ah, the season of being thankful.  November is the month that everyone starts listing all of the things/people/blessings that they are thankful for.  This is a wonderful practice, and I believe, does indeed make us more grateful.  When we are constantly looking at what we do not have, then we become discontent and dissatisfied.  But when we purposely call to mind all that the Heavenly Father has done for us, gratitude begins to well up within us.

I have heard of other countries that are not nearly as materially blessed as America having a greater attitude of Thanksgiving.  One  evangelist reported to our congregation that he knows of one country who has people working six days per week, 10-12 hours per day to make what we make in less than a day.  But he stated that when it is time to give their offering at church, that they come forward with tears of joy and Thanksgiving because they are able to give to God.  This should strike the heart of every American who is living the American Dream.

Today's verse is an excerpt from the Lord's Prayer.  Jesus himself exhorted us to pray for today's bread.  I am going to be honest.  I prefer having more security than that.  It hurts and stretches me when I have more month than  money.  But even then, our family has more than a day's worth of  food.  Even then. 

As I was praying about what to share with you during this season, I feel the Lord  urging me to remind you to be grateful for what you have, even if  it is less than you used to have.  Be thankful even if it is less than what others have.  Trust God. Ask Him for what you need each day.  Then, remember to return  thanks as He supplies.   If you have more than you need in a given day, you are richly blessed.

Dear Lord, your blessings on me are abundant.  Forgive me for greedy grabbing, always wanting more and more without realizing what you have already provided.  Help me,  Father, to constantly have an attitude of gratitude and an abiding knowledge that you are my source of today's bread. In Jesus' Name.   Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.