Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, February 3, 2014

Living Radically in the Last Days


 


 

    

    

Acts 4:32-35

 

32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had. 33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all. 34 There were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales 35 and put it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to anyone as he had need.

NIV

A couple of years ago I read the book Radical, by David Platt.  Indeed, that was a book that lived up to its name! It challenged me to take my role as a believer, and the words of the Bible quite literally.  Those teachings are pretty much diametrically opposed to the western mindset.  I must confess I had a hard time reading it, and an even harder time swallowing it.  Well-to-do people selling their homes and moving to the ghetto to win people for Jesus?  Not for the faint of heart, for sure.

Before you quit reading this blog, I will assure you that I am not urging you to do that today, at least, not necessarily. 

I have such a hunger in my soul for the church to go back to being the church.  I want to see the church universal be a replica of the New Testament, early church.  You know, when Christianity was in its infancy.  I long to see the zeal and passion for the Kingdom return.  I hunger to see the demonstration of the Spirit's might at the proclamation of the Gospel of Christ.  I long to see the signs and wonders, and the jaw-dropping testimonies of lives healed and delivered from the pit of despair.  I want to see people healed of life-restricting ailments.  All of this is most assuredly for today.  How do I know this?  Because the same Spirit of God rests on us today.   The same mission and purpose stands. Jesus said that:

 

I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.  (John 14:12)

 

Where is the "greater things?"  Why are we not living up to our potential in Him? Why are we not living up to this promise?

I am convinced a good portion of the solution lies in today's verses.  The early disciples- and apostles- had heaven on their mind.  It was not a fringe part of their life, but rather the centerpiece.  The hub that turned their wheel was the Kingdom.  They were living in expectation of the Lord's sure return.  Are we?

They were so "set" upon heavenly things that their personal possessions meant nothing.  They were so focused on advancing the kingdom, that their brotherly ties to one another was greater than selfishness.

Now, I know that there are cults and sects that exist and live somewhat like these verses.  We have heard of their abuses and about women and children being owned, abused and oppressed.   We  have heard about false "Prophets of God" abusing people to exalt themselves.  That is a stench in the nostrils of God!  But have we "thrown the baby out with the bath water?"

I am not suggesting a commune.   Rather, what I am saying is, we need to return to living a lifestyle that has less ties to this world and more ties to the kingdom of God.  We need to be more concerned with winning souls than surrounding ourselves with material wealth.  We need to see our brother and sister in Christ in need, and actually care.  Care enough to do something to ease their suffering and make a difference.  Have we forgotten that we cannot out-give God?

Do today's verses convict you?  Does it show you that you are not living in the light of Christ's soon return?  Does it showcase some selfishness in the way you conduct your affairs?  If so, begin to ask God  what He would have you to do, to have maximum impact.  Time is short.  Are you doing enough?

Dear Lord, your Word corrects and reproves me.  Give me grace to be heavenly minded.  Bless those who read these words today- speak to their hearts.  Raise up Your church, in the middle of a carnal society.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.