Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Present


 
    

 


    

Matt 6:34

 

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

NIV

 

I firmly believe that if I could get a hold of this one verse that it would revolutionize my whole life!  I well remember in third grade seeing all of the multiplication tables.  I am not sure what the assignment was, but my "race-ahead" mind heard, "Learn all of them tonight."  I remember crying and fretting because it was too much to  learn.  My mother called the teacher and she assured her, "Of course not!"  Something in my mind always rushes ahead in time and borrows trouble from tomorrow.   Are you like that?  Or slightly less neurotic?!

Either way, I know most of us do borrow tomorrow's problems and bring them into today.  The problem with that, of course (!), is that the grace for tomorrow awaits us on that day.  When we look at tomorrow's problems with only today's grace, we are out-matched.  Rather, we should live in the present, working off of the grace that is provided today.

Often our fears for tomorrow are unfounded, and in anticipating trouble ahead, we fail to realize that tomorrow also holds its own blessings.  We must recognize that we are only promised today and must live in this moment.  Deal with today's troubles. Enjoy today's  joys. Refuse to live in the fear of the unknown tomorrow.  Greater joy awaits you!

 

Dear God, help me to lose the dread of tomorrow and focus on this day that you have given me.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.