Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Comfortless Soul


 

    

Ps 77:1-4

 

77 I cried out to God for help;

I cried out to God to hear me.

2 When I was in distress, I sought the Lord;

at night I stretched out untiring hands

and my soul refused to be comforted.

3 I remembered you, O God, and I groaned;

I mused, and my spirit grew faint.

Selah

4 You kept my eyes from closing;

I was too troubled to speak.

NIV

What feelings does this passage of Scripture bring to mind for you?  If you are in a happy place, perhaps it seems a little bit like a downer.   If you are in a trying place, chances are, it sounds like someone has been eavesdropping on your own laments.

All of us go through seasons like this at some point in our lives.  Occasionally, we experience this sense of being overwhelmed more frequently, depending on our life situation.  Regardless of the circumstances, the Word of God brings great comfort.

The thing that makes this passage so beautiful to me is that it perfectly fits what I am going through.  I feel understood.  And knowing that Almighty God chose to make this a part of Scripture, shows how much He understands me and my feelings.  I feel less horrible as a woman of faith when I read this and recognize that other godly people struggle at times.  It takes away some of the isolation that we can feel in our pain.

This portion of Scripture does not go on to reveal the resolution to the Psalmist's concerns.  But it does demonstrate the importance of calling upon God in the day of trouble.  When we have no words to quantify our fears and pain, Jesus understands.  He is able to hear the groaning of our heart.   He can interpret the language of tears.  He knows more about what troubles us than we do ourselves.  I find great solace in serving such an intimate, compassionate God.

I have stretched out untiring hands to God.  Repeatedly bringing my petitions before Him.  Other times, frankly, my hands and my heart became tired. But still, I continue to reach out to the only one who can truly help me.  God is my Source, my Deliverer, my Strong Tower.  I have to call these truths to mind when I am floundering around, desperate for direction. 

When I cannot speak...  when life keeps me from closing my eyes at night...when my soul refuses to be comforted...still I must hope on in faith.  Even then, with my last drop of strength, I will use it to call upon Jesus, and to reach out for His right hand of assistance.  He will not forsake you, His precious child.

No one  lives in a sunshine bubble all the time. Darkness and tears find their way into everyone's heart.  When this happens, take the heart of the Psalmist.  Refuse to be denied until Jesus comes to your rescue.  Run to Him!  Bare your soul.  He can handle your feelings  and your disillusionment.

Dear God, words escape me.  You know all about it.  I need something from you, Lord.  I don't even know what it is.  Help me Lord, you are my hope!  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.