Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, February 10, 2014

Why Are You Breaking my Heart?



    

Acts 21:13

 

13 Then Paul answered, "Why are you weeping and breaking my heart? I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus."

NIV

 

Can I ask you a sobering question?  What have you given up for the Lord? What are you willing to give up for the Lord?  As I read this passage today, my  heart was pricked by these words.  You see,  as an average American, I recognize how far we have fallen  from this mindset within the church.  We have become so narcissistic, that we only choose to participate in things that are "up our alley."  We are only interested in the small groups centered around our interests, outreaches that sound like fun, and occasional acts of service, rather than a long-term commitment. (Now I know that some of you reading this are the exception, but the general attitude within our churches seems to be veering in this direction.)

Churches struggle to find workers to teach Sunday School, keep the nursery, and clean up after fellowships.  We have lost the heart of servanthood.  We want to be served, we want to be catered to and have our emotions fed.  In truth,  we  are a tad entitled.  (Ouch!)

When Jesus walked the earth, He made no demands for himself.  He did not require that people honor Him, rather He walked humbly and compassionately.  The early church followed in His footsteps, going about, witnessing, teaching, healing and encouraging people to do likewise.

In today's passage, Paul was returning to Jerusalem, facing sure death.  The Spirit of God had warned him several times of his impending fate.  His brothers clung to him, not wanting to lost this spiritual giant.  But his attitude was the same as Jesus.  I must go to Jerusalem.  I must be willing to die there.  Paul, like Christ,  did not cling to his own  life, but rather submitted himself to the whole of God's will for his life.

Thankfully, up to this point, few in America have had to make decisions to die for their faith.  The climate, however, is changing. We must have this same "all in" attitude.  Our lives are His, to do with as He chooses.  We  have a great distance to cover to go from a "me-first" attitude to an all-out abandon of ourselves to God's hands.  But cannot we at least begin the journey?  What would Jesus have you sacrifice to follow Him and be a servant?  The full tithe?  A week's vacation to go on a mission trip?  Committing to regularly teach in children's church? 

Dear Lord, I beg your forgiveness.  Cleanse me of my selfishness and self-centered  worldview.  Help me to see life through the lens of a servant.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.