Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Friday, June 22, 2012

Convinced


“That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day. “ II Timothy 1:12
 

Suffering is a part of life. Things come our way to rob our peace and joy.  We have constant reason to need to lean upon the Lord and cast our care on Him.

In this passage Paul talks about the suffering that he has had to endure as an apostle and herald of the gospel.  Paul recognized that following God in the radical way that he did, did not always bring a peaceful, happy existence.  In fact, people who are truly making a difference for the kingdom often meet more opposition in life. 

Paul acknowledges the suffering and yet he goes on to say that he is not ashamed.  Why? Because he knows Whom he has believed.  Knowing God, who He is, how He works, what motivates Him may seem like a nebulous task.  But the truth is, we serve a knowable God.  Just as Abraham and Moses were friends of God, we too, can know him intimately and be known by him.  Because of Paul’s close affiliation with the Lord, he became convinced that God was able to guard everything he had entrusted to him.  His life, his health, his provision, his safety, his loved ones, his hopes, his dreams, all of this he had committed to God.  Even when things were not going his way, Paul remained convinced that He was able.  Able to be what he needed; able to guard the precious things he had trusted to Him.

As Christians, we know there is a “day” when all of this will be worth it.  The day we are transported into his eternal presence, whether it be by death or rapture, will make all of life’s trials and misery worth it all.  The things we suffer through now are temporary; they cannot keep us from the love of God, from his favor, his grace or his protection.

Even if today you are walking through dark places; even through the “valley of the shadow of death” you can trust in God.  You can trust him to keep you, to protect you; to heal you; to save you. Knowing His faithfulness is an unmovable part of His character helps us to stand solidly upon the foundation of His Word, even when life is shifting sand.

Dear Lord, I do know that you are able to guard all that I have entrusted to you.  Help me to let go of worry, fear and anxiety.  Allow me to feel your presence today, knowing that you go before me and keep me no matter what comes my way.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.