Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Thorn


II Corinthians 12:9-10

“But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.”


Do you enjoy feeling weak?  Is it a time of rejoicing and bragging? 

Probably not.  In fact, most of us make brave attempts to cover over every weakness that we can.  So why is the Apostle Paul making it a boast?

Paul had discovered a truth that would revolutionize your life, if you allow it.  He realized that at our point of weakness, God will show up and make up for whatever is lacking.

Many theologians have debated over what Paul’s “thorn in the flesh” was.  Was it an actual demonic power? Was it poor eye sight?  Was it a person?  Was it some physical malady or some emotional issue?  The truth is that none of us know for certain what plagued him.  But there is still much we can take away from this passage. The underlying principle is a truth that endures for all times.

Whatever was vexing Paul, he had begged God to take it, only to have the Lord respond with today’s passage.  “My grace is sufficient for you.”  No matter what thing is causing you constant pain, frustration, fear or discouragement, in Christ, you have sufficient grace to stand and endure.  We all rejoice when he delivers us, but we also have to learn to walk in grace in those times that he does not miraculously abolish our problems.

We all have some thorns in the flesh.  Different seasons in life bring new challenges and difficulties.  But through it all, like Paul, we can learn to so appreciate Christ’s grace and help in our areas of weakness that we can rejoice in Him.

Dear Lord, I do ask you to deliver me from the things that cause me grief and pain.  But I pray also, Lord, that you will help me to recognize the grace that you allow me to walk in.  Thank you for your sustaining power and strength.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Sherri


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.