Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Do You Know Your Opposition?


“God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”  I Peter 5:5

I have been opposed by friends; I have been opposed by enemies; I have been opposed by teachers and I have been opposed by co-workers.  I have even been opposed by Christians.  But when Almighty God opposes you- you have a real problem!

I always like to picture God in the analogy of the loving Father.  This is one of those passages that bring that imagery to my mind.  There are times I have to bring a word of correction or discipline to one of our sons.  When I feel that their hearts are humble and repentant, it is so easy to extend grace and forgiveness.  But when they are proud and defiant, oh my!  Katie, bar the door!  Their rebellion quickly shuts up any flood of mercy that I may have been feeling.

When we are proud, we are full of ourselves and believe we have it all figured out.  That kind of person is unteachable and ultimately, unreachable. Pride exalts a person to the place of God.  We believe we hold our own answers and our own destiny.  When a person becomes puffed up with pride, the only loving act of a heavenly Father must be to bring discipline that will result in humility.

I have had the Lord bring me into places to teach and humble me. When that has happened, there have been seasons of deep mourning when I recognize how much sin lies within my heart.  There is only room for one person to sit on the throne of your heart.  It can be you, or it can be the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords.  What will your choice be?

Dear Lord, forgive me for the wickedness of the sin of pride.  Help me to have an accurate estimation of my own worth, abilities and knowledge. Help me to always defer to you and show you reverence and humility in everything I think or do.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.