Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, September 3, 2012

Laborers of the Faith


“Now we ask you, brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you.”  I Thessalonians 5:12 (NIV)

 

Happy Labor Day!  I hope that you are finding time to take off and enjoy some recreation.  This morning when I opened my eyes this verse just jumped into my head.  Particularly the version that reads:  “We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you.” (English Standard Version.)

I know we tend to think of Labor Day as being for those who do manual labor.  But I think, we should also honor our unsung heroes, those who labor among us in the faith.  Our pastors, our teacher, camp counselors, etc.   These are the people that are helping you for eternity.  I am grateful for sanitation workers, factory workers, those that work on roads and bridges.  They keep America up and running.  All of these are vital roles.  But a minister or teacher? Only eternity know their worth and value.

On That Day, when we stand before the Lord and give an account of what we have done, I believe we will be much more aware of how Christian laborers impacted our lives.  Thankfully, Christians will be spared the Great White Throne Judgment. (Rev. 12:13-14) But we will give an account for our talents, what we did with them, what we failed to do.  I believe we will give an account for missed opportunities; for Christian deeds done with wrong motives.  The fire will test all of our works, and only those done with pure motives will stand.  (I Cor. 3:13-15)

Because what we receive from Christian laborers is so vital, today I would like to say thank you.  Thank you to anyone who has ever been my pastor, my Sunday School teacher, youth leader, or camp counselor.  Thank you to those who have spoken into my life. Thank you to my mother and grandparents who taught me about Jesus.  May you enjoy the blessings of the Lord today and experience some much needed rest from your labor.

Dear Lord, thank you for sending workers into the fields.  Thank you for calling and gifting the five-fold ministry- pastors, teachers, evangelists, prophets and apostles.  May they all walk in your divine favor and blessing today.  In Jesus Name.  Amen.

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.