Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Thursday, September 20, 2012

It’s Just Not About Me


“At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures.  We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another.  But when the kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy.  He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.”  Titus 3:3-5
 

Have you ever met someone that thought they were “all that and a bag of chips?”  Someone who felt they could do no wrong?  We have all had the pleasure of those types of acquaintances.  But the truth is, we all do wrong- and quite often. Thanks to the sin nature inherited from Adam’s fall, we all have a tendency to fall short of the glory of God and to do things that separate us from a holy God.

I am so glad it does not depend on my righteous deeds. I do not have enough energy to do enough good to offset the bad I am capable of doing.  “But when the kindness of God our Savior appeared….”  Wow!  What kindness.  His death on Calvary was wretched brutality to the Lord, but kindness by the Lord.  I am so grateful that His kindness extends to me, one who so often fails and is so unworthy of such lavish kindness.

But in this passage, the description of Christ goes beyond kindness and on to mercy.  Mercy is when I do not get what I deserve.  When God extended His kindness and mercy to save me, the enemy of my soul shouted “No fair!”  And he would be right.  It is not fair, but it is mercy.  My salvation rests solely on the kindness and mercy of a loving Father. 

A Christian who has experienced this type of generous outpouring of mercy is inspired to do good and righteous works.  When someone does something that marvelous for you, it makes you want to return the favor.  Thus, Christian deeds become a part of our life.  Not because it purchases our forgiveness, but because it honors The Forgiver.

Dear Lord, I am humbled by your mercy and grace to me.  Thank you for your loving kindness and beautiful sacrifice.  Help me to always remember that it is about You and You only.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Sherri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.