Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Bagged Gift


“If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him?” Matthew 7:11


 

My four year old has been on a tear for a few days.  He has been misbehaving, disobeying, and displaying other worrisome behaviors.  This is not my first rodeo- he is my third child. In my heart of hearts, I know this is just a phase and is bound to turn around.  But in the meantime, I spend so much of my time correcting, scolding, disciplining and praying to treat him as God would have me to.  He is not a bad child.  In fact, he is very precious and as sweet as the day is long.  But he is testing his boundaries.

That same child loves baseball.  In fact to say that he loves it may be the understatement of the year.  For a long time now he has wanted catcher’s gear (he calls it crotch-down catcher).  Because it is expensive and he has not yet started t-ball we have put him off.  But this week his aunt brought a surprise for him-some catcher’s gear.  I could hardly wait for him to get home and see it.  Then the report came.  He was ugly to his brother on the way home from his Granny’s house.  I told him he had a surprise but would have to be sweet to get it.  The bad behavior and correction continued.  Then the next day he went to my Mom’s.  When he came home, I was informed that yet again, he had gotten into trouble off and on all day.  So sadly, he could not get them that day either.

As a Mom, it hurts my heart to deprive him of something I know will cause him so much joy.  But there is no way I can reward the way he has been acting.  He does not have any idea what a great surprise awaits him if he will only begin to behave in the way that he had been trained and in the way that is required of him.  I was venting to God about my frustration, and then it hit me.  How many good gifts does my Father have in store for me, but I cannot receive them because of my behavior?  Because of my disobedience, because of my rebellion…What treasures have we forfeited?

God has good gifts for you and me.  But as a good Father, he has to withhold them until we prove we can be trusted with it.  Consider your ways.  Are you asking for blessings, but walking outside of his will?  It is not going to happen.  Seek the Lord and I know you will be amazed with what he will do for you, his precious child.

Dear Lord, thank you for all of the gifts you have given me.  Forgive me for the ways that I sin against you.  Help me to be aware of the times that I displease you.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.