Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Facing Your Enemy


“Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident.”  Psalm 27:3


 

What powerful imagery! It is easy to be confident when we are up against one foe, which is smaller and weaker than us.  But in this passage, David is saying even if an entire army comes against him, he will not fear.  Even if a full-scale war breaks out against him personally, he would be confident.

How could he possibly say such audacious things?  He said them because he knew Whose he was.  He understood that he belonged to God and that no matter how many come to attack him; no matter how big they were, how well armed they were; no matter how powerful they were; they were no match for his God.  Our God is just that big, powerful and sufficient.  That is why we can rest in him even when life kicks up some major storms.

Like you, I currently have a few enemies I am facing- discouragement; delayed answers to prayer and even a little despair.  But passages like this cause my spirit to rise up within me and say:  “Yes, He can handle this!  It is going to work out.”  Usually when our problems loom too large, it is because we have shrunk God down to our size. 

We can choose to be fearless.  We cannot help the emotion of fear that comes our way, but we can do as Joyce Meyer recommends and “Do it afraid.”  No matter how our emotions tremble and quake, we can choose to not allow fear to limit what we do for God or what we allow him to do through us.

Lord, I am struggling today. Please help me to stand firm as David did.  Help me to remember your goodness and the times you have come through for me.  Increase my confidence, in Jesus Name.  Amen.

Sherri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.