Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, November 12, 2012

Ready or Not…Here I Come!


"At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.  Five of them were foolish and five were wise.  The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them.  The wise, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps.  The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.  At midnight the cry rang out, ‘Here comes the bridegroom!  Come out to meet him.’”  Matthew 25:1-6

We used to hang out with some friends that were chronically late.  No matter where we were going, you could count on them to be at least 45 minutes late.  I remember one time they were later than usual.  By the time they arrived over an hour late, I had been sitting and stewing for quite a while. There is something about being “all dressed up with nowhere to go.”  By the time they were ready to leave I had no desire to go at all.  I was completely out of the mood.  Can you relate to what I am talking about?

When I read this passage I cannot help but feel like perhaps the ten virgins went through a similar thing.  They had been ready and expecting for quite a while.  By midnight they were exhausted, possibly deflated and asleep.  That is when the cry rang out- when they were no longer ready to go.

We know that Jesus is coming back in a moment when we think not.(Matthew 24:44)  Not too long along in America, times were good, people were prospering and everyone was full of hope.  It was easy to forget that Jesus was coming back soon.  It was easier to focus on this life as it was full and enjoyable.  But as things have become harder financially and everyone’s general outlook less positive, we find ourselves once again remembering “Oh yeah, Jesus is coming back this might be the time the Scripture spoke about.”

He is coming back just like he said.  When we were children we would play hide and seek.  At the end of our turn to count we would yell out “Ready or not.  Here I come!”  This is true in the spirit.  Whether we are dressed (in the spirit) and longing for his coming, or whether we have put on our jammies and gone to bed- the truth remains.  Ready or not, he is coming. 

It is my prayer that you and I will live ready to go, on high alert, in eager anticipation of the cry.  For those who are ready, the announcement of his return will be met with rapturous joy and delight.  For those not ready, it will be a time of intense grief and despair as this world has ever known.  I urge you today to search your heart and see if you are living ready to go. Is there any unconfessed sin in your life?  Any unforgiveness?

Dear Lord, please help me live in readiness.  Help me to stay awake and be sober.  Help me walk in readiness for your return.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Sherri

 

1 comment:

  1. These blogs are so on point for the day in which we are living. You have a very insightful way of explaining the scripture and bringing it to today. God Bless you and your minisry.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.