Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Friday, November 2, 2012

One Thing

“One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek:  that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.”  Psalm 27:4


 

Have you ever had a prayer request?  Just one?  Me neither!  I have always had more prayer requests than I have people in my life.  For each of my immediate family members I have at least two things I am praying and believing God for, over their lives.  My own prayer requests, at times, seem unlimited.

In this passage, David has a clear focus or purpose in mind.  He had the best in mind.  His one and only goal was to dwell in the Lord’s presence, in his house and looking at him and seeking him.  This is a lifelong pursuit.  Though he is not confined to one physical location, such as a temple, I do enjoy worshiping him in the church with other like-minded people.  At times I consider what heaven will be like when we sing around the throne and cast our crowns at his feet.  What will it be like to actually see the one I have sought after since I was five years old?  It makes me think of the song “I Can Only Imagine” for truly I have no idea what my response will be.  We have to practice on the earth serving him all of our lives, to prepare us for the wonderful work of worship we will have in eternity.

I was recently studying the account of Jesus being entertained in the home of Martha.  She had become upset because her sister, Mary, was not helping.  Jesus said something powerful to her.  “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Sometimes, despite all of our wants, hopes and concerns, only one thing is needed.  That one thing is seeking to know the Lord in his fullness.

“Dear Lord, please help me be focused on you.  Help me to worship you as you deserve to be worshiped.  Help me to remember everything else is a distraction and background noise. In Jesus’ Name.

Sherri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.