Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, November 19, 2012

Be Thankful


“Let the peace of Christ rules in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace.  And be thankful.”  Colossians 3:15


 

It is Thanksgiving season once again.  A time to be thankful for all that God has done for us.  As we buy the groceries, stuff the turkey and mix up yet one more casserole, we must pause to remember the reasons why we are thankful.

This passage of Scripture is rather interesting.  It talks about the importance of peace in our heart, peace within the body of Christ, and then out of nowhere- we are commanded to be thankful.  The two thoughts seem distinct and separate and yet there is obviously a correlation between peace and thankfulness.

The Old Timers used to admonish us to count our blessings.  Have you ever given it a whirl?  I have and never once have I been able to make an exhaustive list.  There is always one more thing for which we can be grateful.  As I began to count all of the things that God has done for me- saved me, given me health, given me His Spirit to guide me, blessed me with a wonderful family, a nice home, dependable vehicles, a job… I begin to recall all of the times he has come through for me and become keenly aware of how much He loves me.  All of that reminiscing builds my faith and brings great peace.

In the busy-ness of your week, try to set aside some time to allow his peace to rule in your heart.  And be thankful!

Dear Lord, thank you.  Thank you for freedom to worship you.  Thank you for a wonderful church family, friends, parents, children, food, shelter, water. Thank you for every bit of it.  I know that every good gift is from you and I am so thankful.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.