Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Hiding in the Shadows


“Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in you my soul takes refuge.  I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.”  Psalm 57:1


 

The mercy of God is without description.  We deserve death, hell and destruction, but in his great mercy, he has paid the price for us.  Rather than judgment, he lays up blessings for the child of God.  Instead of hell, he offers heaven.  Instead of death, he provides eternal life.  His mercy is without limit. When we stumble, when we fall, he is there to pick us up; with tender mercy his heart is always turned toward us.

When we are afraid, when we are disheartened we can run to him for mercy and find refuge for our soul.  A refuge is a sanctuary or place of safety.  Even in the middle of physical warfare we can enjoy spiritual refuge.  Praise God for his provision! 

Some trials of life are so huge, so overwhelming that they loom like a mountain of destruction in our path.  When your enemy is as great as a mountain, you must find a very large rock to hide behind!  In those days, God is the only one large enough to hide every part of you from the enemy. 

Not too long ago our little one was jumped on and bitten by a dog.  When I realized what was happening, our three year old was running toward me as hard as he could run and threw himself into my arms.  He knew that he would find safety from the teeth of that dog if only he could get to Mama.  There are days that I am that child running for all I am worth toward a heavenly Father who is running to me with his arms outstretched. 

Just as a chicken gathers her chicks underneath the safety of her wings, God gathers us in, on the day of disaster.  Please know today that no matter how the wind howls outside your door, no matter how the windows rattle and shake, you have a safe room, a safe haven in which to hide.

Dear Lord, thank you for being there for me, offering me mercy and safety.  Help me to feel your protective arms about me.  In Jesus’ Name I pray.  Amen.

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.