Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, December 10, 2012

Still


“He says, “Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”  Psalm 46:10


 

It is officially the holiday season.  I know this because our family has five parties to attend between now and next Sunday.  What a hectic, busy, and stressful time of year.  Like many of you I have lists for several areas of my life that I’m working off of:  family responsibilities, church commitments, work deadlines, holiday celebrations, preparations and of course, shopping! 

Needless to say, “being still and knowing that He is God” is pretty difficult to pull off at this time.  And yet I hear Him beckoning me to still myself and know Him.  To be aware of Him, to acknowledge His presence, to seek His face.  All of the other things on my list are important, but being with God is urgent and pivotal to everything else working.  I am trying to cultivate the ability to have a stillness of heart, mind and spirit, even while I have a frenzy of body.

Recently, I had a bit of a personal health scare.  Thank the Lord, everything ended up being all right, but for those six days when I experienced uncertainty, things in life got quite a bit simpler for me.  All of a sudden job stress did not matter as much as hope for a future with my family.  Life is so precious and fragile.  We are only ever a moment away from eternity.  That is what truly matters and we must live like it matters.  We have to take control of our life and activities and say, I am going to be still and know that He is God.  I am going to put Him in proper perspective and everything else will fall into place.

Dear Lord, help me still my mind.  Help me to be attuned to your still, small voice.  Help me to focus on you and trust you to do through me what I need to accomplish.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.