Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, December 17, 2012

Tomorrow


“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:34


 

Tomorrow my middle child will have surgery.  I am not looking forward to that.  In fact, I have some anxiety and dread about that.  But the truth is, wasting today fretting about tomorrow is futile.  It changes nothing.

I once heard a story about two men facing martyrdom, where they would be burned at the stake the following day. The one held the candle in their cell up to his arm, testing himself to see if he would be able to endure.  Immediately he snatched his hand away, declaring, “I won’t be able to do it!  I am a coward.  I am afraid I will deny my Lord.” The other prisoner rebuked him saying, “The Lord did not call you to burn your arm with a candle.  If he calls you to die at the stake tomorrow, you will have the grace to do it.  You will not experience tomorrow’s grace today.”  I have thought of this story many times and it is so true.  We borrow tomorrow’s problems and worry and fret, but the grace for tomorrow will meet us on that day.

I don’t know what lies before you that causes you dread or concern.  But make it your aim to not borrow problems from tomorrow…and I will do the same!

Dear Lord, thank you that you hold tomorrow in the palm of your hand.  Help me to trust you with all my tomorrows and thank you for the grace you have given me to face today.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.