Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

God Wants to Share his Secrets with You


“See, the former things have taken place, and new things I declare; before they spring into being I announce them to you.”  Isaiah 42:9

 There is nothing like the New Year to cause a time of reflection.  What went well last year?  Where did I fail?  What do I hope to see happen in this New Year?

For a person who does not know Christ, looking ahead can be a daunting thing.  But for those of us who have turned the reigns of our lives over to Christ, the future should be hope-filled and exciting. That does not mean that the Christian never struggles, but we are to know the One who hold the future and trust that he has a great plan for our lives.

The second part of this Scripture says that new things God declares.  In fact, it goes on to say that before these things occur that the Lord will announce them to us.  Does that baffle you a bit?  Only God knows the future.  Much of the future is unfolded to us as we get to it, but there are wonderful moments in time where the Lord reveals some of the unknowns in our life to us.  This is a blessed part about walking intimately with the Lord.

There have been times in my life that I have had this type of unveiling by the Lord.  Once before a pastor of ours announced his resignation I had a very strong feeling of new beginnings about the church.  Thus, when the announcement was made, although it seemed a bit frightening, I was comforted by the knowledge that the Lord had given me a “heads-up” about what was to come.  Another time, in prayer I began to feel a nudge to pray for a particular job.  There was another person in that position at the time and I certainly did not want to covet what another had, but I could not get around the leading to pray for the position.  So I laid hands on their office door, prayed for God’s best for them and his direction for my life.  Within a couple of weeks, this person unexpectedly walked away from a position that they had held for over a decade.  Right at the moment I needed the position to come through.  Did I pray that person out of a job?  Of course not.  God knew where he was moving them and what he had for me.  He just allowed me to partner with him in the change to build my faith.

There have also been times that I have had a fore-knowledge of frightening things coming my way, but with that knowledge I felt God’s peace and strength to handle it.  At one time in my life I kept feeling an inexplicable need to fast day after day.  I had no idea why.  Later, I came up against a situation of spiritual warfare in ministry and was so grateful that I had prepared my spirit for the battle at hand.

My life is nothing extraordinary.  I am sure you have had similar experiences if you have walked with the Lord for a while.  Often, when we do not have these types of spiritual foresight, it is because we have not taken the time to pray and listen to what the Lord says.  Don’t let you daily devotional only be a time of giving the Lord your wish list.  Be sure you allow time for his response and direction.  He may speak to you through Bible study; through quietly waiting on him or through reading or listening to what some other man or woman of God is sharing.  The Lord is not limited in how he communicates with us.  Begin to look for and expect his declarations for your future.  And as a word of caution, know that any leading you receive will always line up with the Word of God and will be to the glory of God.

Lord, show me anything that you desire me to see about the direction you have for my life or any area of ministry you want to open to me.  I need you to guide me through all the uncertainty of my future. In Jesus Name.  Amen.

Sherri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.