Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Best Advice


 
Mom And Child In Autumn

“My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin.  But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense- Jesus Christ, the righteous One.”  I John 2:1


 

Is there a more beautiful verse of Scripture written anywhere?  When I think of Jesus, the spotless Lamb of God, who never sinned at all, defending me, I am humbled beyond measure!  This passage is such a beautiful illustration of parenting.  “Johnny, get down out of that tree before you fall!”  (Johnny hurtles to the ground, breaking his arm.)  Mama or Daddy runs to him at break-neck speed, grabs him up with loving consolation and rushes him to the ER.  This is that type of thing, only times infinity!

“My dear children” here is the apostle John demonstrating a spiritual Father type of love, sent to several gentile congregations, passed around anywhere there were believers.  With great tenderness he admonishes them to not sin.  In many ways this makes me think of the “birds and the bees” talk given to our adolescent children.  “Sex is for after marriage, etc., etc.  But if you get into trouble, I want you to talk to me.  I am still going to love you and be there for you.”  We tell them what we want for them.  We tell them what is best for them.  We tell them how to avoid heartache, disaster and sickness.  But if for some reason, they do not heed our advice, we do not throw them out.  We try to lovingly restore them.

Jesus does not want us to sin.  Period.  He has given us his Spirit to guide us; a conscience through which to lead us; his Word to direct us; and his grace to empower us.  This is the sin-free power package.  But just as we recognize the humanity and propensity to fail in our little ones, he sees it is in us.  He knows our frame- the very hairs of our head are numbered.  He knows us inside and out.  What love!  What devotion!  He wants us to succeed.  He wants us to be blessed.  He wants us to walk closely with him.  But if we stumble, if we fall, he is there to bring us help.

If he were not mercy; the conversation with the Father would be so much different. It would be more like, “Father, Sherri has gotten angry and lost her temper.  I never did that when I walked this earth.  Punish her.”  He is grace.  Take a moment and thank him for his longsuffering mercy toward you.

I would not be a balanced Bible teacher, if I did not offer up a word of caution at this point.  He tells us not to sin.  We should never purposefully choose to sin and then impose on his mercy.  His mercy is not cheap.  It was purchased with the pure blood of the Lamb!  One day as I was diving into a ridiculously sinful dessert, I jested with friends, “For this sin I am about to commit, please forgive me.”  We laughed about it, because it was just dessert.  But how many Christians live their lives in the same way.  I know what I am doing is wrong; but I am going to keep doing it and get forgiveness later.  Be careful!  You are gambling with your soul.

Dear Lord, thank you for your extravagant mercy and forgiveness.  Forgive me for knowingly sinning against your mercy.  Help me to walk in purity and holiness.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Sherri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.