Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

How do You Relate?


“My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin.  But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense- Jesus Christ, the righteous One.  He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but for the sins of the whole world.  We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands.  The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him.  But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him:  Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did. ” I John 2:1-6

One of the great mysteries in the Word of God to me is our position in Christ.  When we come to salvation, Jesus comes to live in our hearts.  As a Christian we become a part of the body of Christ.  (All Christians make up that body, with Christ as the head.)  When we receive Jesus as our Savior, the Holy Spirit comes to live on the inside of us.  When we ask Jesus us to, he baptizes us in the Holy Spirit.  So to recap, we are in Jesus and he is in us.  We are in the Spirit and he is in us.

So having said all of that, today’s verse talks about how we can know we are in him.  If we do what Jesus did, we are living in him.  When one of our sons was little, I got so tickled watching him.  My husband was outside talking to another man.  Our little guy was standing right by him.  If Daddy leaned one elbow on the truck, he leaned one elbow on the truck.  When my husband gestured with his hand, my son gestured with his pudgy little hand.  He was a mini replica of Daddy.  If we are following Jesus, we will look like it. 

Another analogy of this verse can be seen in our relationships with our friends.  I have noticed that my relationships with my friends are very individual.  We have inside jokes and terms that we use with each other that would not make sense to someone else.  Why?  Because we pick up things from each other.  They change me and I change them.  We become like those that we are around most.  You cannot hang out in the world, but act like Jesus.  You have to hang out with him.  Listen to him, talk with him and have shared experiences with him before he begins to shape your life.  If no one knows you are a Christian, you need to invest in more time spent with Jesus.

The final question is how did Jesus walk? He walked to where hurting people were, and he befriended them.  He saw people’s need and was moved to compassion.  He taught them, provided for them, delivered them, healed them and established relationships with them.  If we are to be like Jesus in this world we have to care about those who are in need.  We have to be the hands of compassion outstretched.  A Christian who is not giving of themselves, their time, their resources, is honestly no Christian at all. Because to be Christ-like means to be like Christ.  To feel like him; to act like him; and to love like him!

Lord, show me where I am failing in my life to emulate you.  Thank you for coming to live in me and to allow me to be in the Family of God.  Help me to resemble the Father. In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Sherri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.