Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, January 28, 2013

Liar, Liar!


Sad Child“My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin.  But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense- Jesus Christ, the righteous One.  He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but for the sins of the whole world.  We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands.  The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him.”  I John 2:1-4 

I well remember being a little girl and my Grandma hearing me say someone was a liar.  She scolded me strongly about it, explaining it was ugly to call someone a liar.  She talked in terms of “telling stories.”  I remember too as a young mother telling one of my little ones not to lie.  Once again, Grandma reminded me it was ugly to call someone a liar.  I remember that day telling her (respectfully) that lying was a sin, not confronting a lie.  A truth she had to agree to. 

Here the Word of God is rather strong.  But it really is a right or wrong scenario.  Either you do what he says, or you don’t really know him.  You can know he is God. You can know historical facts about his son, Jesus.  But you cannot really “know” him until you know him as Lord.  That means that you exalt him to his rightful place in your life and allow him to call the shots.  You know him when you cannot stand the idea of breaking his heart by rebelling against his Word.  You know him when you recognize his holiness to the point you have a right amount of reverential fear and awe of the Righteous Judge.

Friday we discussed how we know we know him if we obey his commands.  Today’s verse is just the flip side to that verse.  Don’t you just love how the Bible is so well-balanced?  We can know him and obey, or we can not obey and realize we do not know him at all.  That is the two choices laid out before us in Scripture.  But to not obey, and claim to know him?  That just make you a hypocrite (an actor/actress) and a liar.  The trademark of any true believer is a love for Jesus, his Word, and a desire to please him. 

Where are your affections today?  Are they on pleasing God or pleasing yourself?  Do you know him?  Do you love him?  Find out what the Bible says and do it.  Do you claim Jesus, but live however you see fit?  Repent!  He wants you to know him and be in close relation with him.

Dear Jesus, help me not to just be a hearer of your Word, but a doer of it. I want to know you, Lord.  Remove the mixture in me.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.