Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Account Limit


 

“I write to you, dear children, because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name.” I John 2:12

 

In today’s passage, John is writing to the “children” in the Lord.  He was writing to new converts, those who had yet to mature to the deeper things of God.  No matter where you are in your lifespan as a Christian, there are duties, responsibilities, blessings and privileges that we receive. 

We all have a tendency to desire to be in a different age group than what we are currently in.  Today my five year old observed the high dive on television. Afterward he asked, “When I am grown up can I do that?  Like when I am seven?”  He cracked me up thinking that seven was grown.  But that is the way we are as Christians as well.  Spiritual infants usually do not realize that they are infants.  And sadly, some Christians that should be approaching their golden years are still acting like infants, choosing not to grow from taking the milk of the Word to taking the meat of the Word.

John was reminding them that their sins were forgiven.  This is such a pivotal- and foundational principle.  We have to know and understand that it all begins with having Jesus blot out our sins and make us right in his sight.  If we enter eternity at that stage of development, we will still go on to enjoy the glories of heaven.  This is no small truth and worthy of our meditation and pondering. What have you been forgiven of?  Do you realize what a miracle receiving forgiveness from an altogether holy and blameless God is?  Saved from hell and for heaven.  What a heritage!

The other part of the passage that jumps out for me is “on account of his name.”  I have a friend who had their debit card stolen.  The person who took it, went on a spending spree.  Because of the account balance, they were able to take quite a bit of money.  Had they stolen mine, they would not have been able to have purchase nearly as much merchandise.  Why?  Because of the balance on my account.  If I am making withdrawals “on account” of Jesus’ Name, I have an unlimited spending limit!  No matter how much grace you or I need, there is more than enough to go around! No matter how much finances, healing or deliverance we need, we have an adequate amount of spiritual “credit” to meet that need.

What do you need today? Why don’t you take a moment to bring it to the Lord?

Dear Lord, thank you that I am forgiven.  Thank you that you provide all that I need in your name.  Help me to never forget the absolute holiness of your name.  In your matchless name I pray, Amen.

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.