Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Friday, February 1, 2013

The Night Light


 

 

 
“My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin.  But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense- Jesus Christ, the righteous One.  He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but for the sins of the whole world.  We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands.  The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him.  But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him:  Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did. Dear friends, I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had since the beginning.  The old command is the message you have heard.  Yet I am writing you a new command; its truth is seen in him and you, because the darkness is passing and the true light is already shining.” I John 2:1-8

 

Once, as a nineteen-year-old newlywed, I came home to a dark house.  The power was off everywhere in our town.  My husband did not get home until 11:30 p.m. and it was a little before eleven.  I told myself I could be a big girl and went inside.  The darkness was so pervasive though, I began to feel creeped out by it. There were no streetlights.  No little lights on the coffee pot.  Nothing!  The darkness felt like a presence.  It was as if someone was lurking in the shadows.  After finding a flashlight I got up the nerve to flee next door to my in-laws house. I let myself in and everything was just as dark there.  I began to yell out and call their names, but no one ever answered.  By then I had myself convinced a serial killer had killed all of them and was pressing in to grab me as well.  I jumped back in my car and locked the doors (like people on scary movies never think to do) and raced back into town.  It was the dark ages then (before cell phones) so I hurried to a pay phone and called my mother.  I stayed on the phone with her until all the spookiness faded.  (The next day my in-laws had a good laugh at my expense, but thankfully they were all alive and well.)

Darkness is frightening.  It is overpowering and it limits you.  Thank God the light has come!  His name is Jesus and he can shine his light into the furthest reaches of our soul.  He illuminates sin as well as truth.  So many people are wandering in darkness.  We have to be willing to let our light so shine, that people can find Jesus in the middle of their darkest hour.  In the dark you can run into things, stump your toe, trip and fall.  There are so many hazards in the darkness.  Things that will not harm you at all in daylight can cause major damage at night.

Begin to crave the light.  Avoid the darkness of this world.  Pray to be a light in your family and in your community.  The true light is shining!  Let us step into the light!

Dear Lord, thank you for driving away the darkness of my soul.  Help others to see you shining in me.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Sherri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.