Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Friday, February 8, 2013

Keep it in the Family


“I write to you, dear children, because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name.  I write to you, fathers, because you have known him who is from the beginning.  I write to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one.  I write to you, dear children, because you have known the Father.  I write to you, fathers, because you have known him who is from the beginning.  I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you, and you have overcome the evil one.” I John 2:12-14

As we discussed in verse 12 yesterday, the passages for today continue in the same vein.  John is writing to “children”, “fathers”, and “young men”.  He is writing to those little ones in the Lord, the youthful believers, and the mature believers.  Oh, how I love the Word of God!  The Bible is such a balanced book.  Every word is instructive and educational.  John is trying to help those that he is mentoring in the faith to be reminded of what they know already, what they have overcome, and what they need to know to continue on.
We, in the body of Christ, need each other.  It bothers me when people tend to want to only hang out with people their age, in their economic bracket with other families of similar composition.  There is so much that we can learn from the older, more experienced in the faith.  There is so much we can pass on to those younger in the Lord than we are.  We are called the “family of God” for a reason.
The movie “The Lion King” talks about the circle of life with regards to animals.   Although some of that “theology” does not really apply to Christianity, there is a circular order to life.  Our parents give us life, raise us and we become independent adults able to go on and start our own family.  But later in life we find our parents beginning to age, weaken and look to their children for help. In the family unit, we have times of strength and vigor and times of weakness and vulnerability.   Not only that, but in friendship, there are times that I am down in my faith and my friend is on a mountain.  Later that same friend may need my support as I am walking in great victory.  We need each other for support, instruction and to ensure that the Church continues to grow and thrive.  No one is an island unto himself.  God made us to be relational.
John reminds the readers about the things they have learned about God and about some of their past victories.  Sometimes it is good to take inventory of where we are and where we have been.  One month into the new year, how are you doing with your resolutions?  Especially the spiritual ones?  Recommit today to carry out the things in your heart to do for the Lord.
I had a recent talk with a young person who was very concerned for other young people without spiritual mentors.  We all need someone to help train and disciple us.  If you do not have that within your family, seek out a mentor.  If you have reached the “father” or “young man” level in the Lord, look back and see who is younger and less experienced than you, and give your brother a leg up in Jesus’ Name!
Thank you, Lord,  for all the people who have helped me to know You and grow in my relationship with you.  Lord, help me to be a worthy example to someone following behind me.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.
Sherri
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.