Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Friday, February 22, 2013

The Promise


 
"Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come.   This is how we know it is the last hour.  They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us.  For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.  But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth.  I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth.  Who is the liar?  It is the man who denies that Jesus is the Christ.  Such a man is the antichrist- he denies the Father and the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.  See that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you.  If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. And this is, what he promised us- even eternal life."  I John 2:18-25
 
I'll admit it. I like to make a production of things.  I like to build up suspense for surprises, occasions and holidays.  I work hard, and I want to celebrate hard as well.  I like to give teasers to the kids.  Like, "Ooh, we are going to do something fun today.  You are going to like it a lot!" And my promo's go on and on.  That is why, you can imagine my disappointment, when after planning a big outing for the boys, one of them said to me, "This is it?  This was the surprise?"  (This was said incredulously and with disappointment.)  I felt lower than a snake's belly.  What I thought to would be a wonderful afternoon for them, bombed.  One such surprise was when I took them to see "The Nutcracker" ballet performance as a field trip. My oldest let me know next time, he would prefer to stay home and do his schoolwork!  Then he reminded me that they were boys!
Sometimes we build things up, but in the end, they are not all that great.  The jaw-dropping truth of Jesus' promise to us, is just as fabulous as we can imagine and more! He has promised- and delivered on- eternal life.  We are promised eternity in heaven in the presence of Almighty God!  A place where we will never be sick, we will never be stressed out, we will never be grieved or disappointed.  Heaven is a glorious place and beyond our wildest imagination of its grandeur.
My grandmother suffered for years with Parkinson's disease which left her beautiful expressive face, mask-like.  But in heaven?  She is whole and grinning from ear to ear!  My step-dad lost his eye as a child, in heaven he is beholding all of the beauties of glory with perfect vision! My great-grandmother was  so stooped over she would need a Sears catalog to see over the dashboard of the car.  But in heaven, she is standing tall.
What Jesus has saved us from is more than we will ever comprehend, but what he has saved us to will take an eternity to fully take in!
Take some time today to reflect on these great and precious promises.  Eternity of joy, peace, love and worship.  A time to be rejoined to loved ones who went on before us.  We have much to look forward to!
Dear Lord, thank you for the promise of eternal life.  Your matchless gift of salvation is beyond what my mind can comprehend!  Thank you for loving me so much.   In Jesus' Name.  Amen.
Sherri
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.