Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Still


"Be still and know that I am God..."  Psalm 46:10


 

When seeking the Lord's will for our lives, it is often hard to know which direction to take.  Do I move forward in faith and see  what happens? Do I stand still until I know which direction to go?  What will be my  sign that I am going in the right direction?  Sometimes  a quick response is required, but for other things, we have time to linger before the Lord as we ponder the confusing questions of life.

I understand that being still before God means  that I do not run ahead without  him:  I wait for his voice, I wait for his direction; I wait for his leading.  But what else does this mean?

For me,  part of the process is to still my running mind that goes on endlessly with questions, doubts, thoughts and scenarios. Sometimes when I am trying to be still before him, I literally feel like my mind is a runaway train.  No matter how hard I try to focus, my mind chases its own rabbits.

For example, let's  say I am contemplating a work-related decision.  It could go something like this, "Lord, I need to know your will.  I don't want to make this decision if it is not of you. Show me your direction."  And then I sit there.  Before long my mind says, "Well if I make this decision, it will mean a loss of $__ in income.  If I do that, I will not have enough money to pay ____ bill.  If we can't do that, Johnny is likely to be upset about it...."  Then I catch myself, and once again attempt to reign in my thoughts.  The next thing you know, my mind is off to the races again, "If I make this decision, then we will increase our income by $____, then I will be able to save up $___ or pay off ____ bill.  That would be really good. Then we can get out of debt and that will free me up for more ministry and time with my family.  But what if it is the wrong decision, and it causes my workload to increase?  I am already stretched to the limit,  how can I handle anything else?  It is hopeless.  Neither way seems like a good plan.  I am so depressed.... oh, wait, I am waiting for the Lord..."

Does any of this replicate your own life?   Being still before God almost requires a special endowment of grace from Him!  Somehow, in the chaotic world of Me, I have to find a way to remember that He is God.  He is bigger, stronger and smarter than me.  He knows the end from the beginning and is well able to show me what to do.  All of this trying to work it out for myself is nothing but a sign  of a lack of faith on my part.  But if I "still" my mind by  choosing to focus on Him, His vastness; His omnipotence, then I find my own spirit settling down and relaxing enough to hear that "still, small voice."

Are you fighting a warfare in your mind?  Focus on Him.  Praise Him.  The rest will be revealed.

Dear Lord, please still my racing and anxious thoughts.  Cause me to be at rest in Your presence and reminded of Your goodness.  Help me to wait before you and to discern your voice.  In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.