Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Friday, May 3, 2013

The Person of Truth




 

"Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well.  This is how we know that  we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands.  This is love for God: to obey his commands.  And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world.  This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.  Who is it that overcomes the world?  Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.  This is the one who came by water and blood- Jesus Christ.  He did not come by water only, but by water and blood.  And it is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth."  I John 5:1-4

 

I am so grateful for the Holy Spirit! Through his ministry we can know what is true and what is false.  He convicts us of sin; he convinces us of the truth that we need to know about Jesus.  He testifies to truth, causing us to "bear witness" within ourselves about what is right and wrong. Jesus came, being born of a woman, he was fully God and fully man.  He grew up, grew in the things of God, was baptized and carried out a powerful ministry on planet earth.  But when the time came for him to look toward his death and ascension back to the right hand of the Father, he said, "But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away.  Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you:  but if I go, I will send him to you."    (John16:7)  Wow.  I am sure the disciples  were floored to hear that they would be better off after their Savior, Teacher, and Messiah left the world.

 

Why is it better for us that Jesus ascended  to heaven?  When he walked the earth, he could only be in one place at one time, thusly constrained by his human body.  But when he sent the Counselor, or Holy Spirit, he was made available to all believers.  He can fill me up at the same time  he fills you up.  He can be with me in America and be with you in Jamaica!  He is constantly present, teaching me things I need to learn, reminding me of things I have forgotten.  And always, always, he testifies to the truth that Jesus is the Son of God.  He never does anything that is not in complete harmony with Father and Son.  What a mighty God we serve!

 

If we are to walk in victory and overcome the things of the world, we must give place to the Holy Spirit, inclining our ear and heart to his voice.

 

Dear Lord, thank you for the marvelous gift of the Holy Spirit.  I am so grateful for his ministry in my life.  Help me to be a willing student with a teachable heart.     In Jesus' Name. Amen.

 

Sherri

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.