Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Loop


 

 

"I can do everything through him who gives me strength."  Philippians 4:13

 

Do you ever get a song stuck in your head?  For weeks now, my life has been a series of deadlines and stressful events.  All the while, the lyrics of Matthew West's "Strong Enough" continued to resound in my heart and head: " I can do all things through Christ who give me strength and I don't have to be strong enough..."  It was like a constant loop.

Sometimes when a song is stuck in my head, it is one I despise and I get so sick of hearing it.  Not this time!  It is like the Lord was singing it as encouragement over me.  I was not equal to the tasks that lay before me.  All of it was bigger, more stressful and entirely more complicated that I could do within myself.  But over and over again, I noticed him giving me the grace, prompting me to take this step here, delete this practice there, and the next thing you know, I was done!  I had met all of my deadlines- and with a reasonable amount of success.

Why do we ever try to tackle the demands of this life in our own strength?  Perhaps every generation has felt this way, but I personally feel that as time is winding down and the soon return of Christ is imminent, times are simply getting harder.  It seems more people are sick; hurting; depressed; oppressed and overwhelmed. Some of it is because of the crazy, hectic schedules we keep.  But I am also convinced that as the days become more evil, life is just more difficult to live.

As we "occupy until He comes" we are going to have to draw upon his grace and strength to live in victory through these perilous days.  Does it look impossible?  Is it harder and more difficult than you have the strength to endure?  Be encouraged.  You can do all He wants you to...  In His strength.  You do not have to be strong enough!

Dear Lord, help me to learn how to cast my care on you.  Show me when I am operating in my own strength and help me to draw instead on your strength.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.