Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Venting Full Throttle


"A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control."  Proverbs 29:11

Have you ever been so angry you  were just about out of your mind with it?  Have you ever had  your mind flooded with nothing but inappropriate things to say?  I  have.   And I hate that feeling. Anger is such a negative emotion to me.  I hate the way it makes me feel out of control.  It makes your hands numb, your heart race, your guts knot up...anger is a physiologically taxing event.  And even more so emotionally.  And spiritually.

I have known Christians, who lose all semblance of Christianity when they become angry.  Nothing is off limits, they are ranting, raving, cussing, attacking, and saying things they can never take back.  Giving someone "a piece of your mind" is not all that it is cracked up to be.

As  Christians, we are called to live a life of self-control.  We cannot afford to say  whatever comes to mind.  We have to live Spirit-controlled lives if we want to be a witness.

What are your primary shortcomings with anger?  Do you become violent?  Profane?  Do you run away?  Do you become rude and hateful?  If so, you have some work to do! We  all have things that push our buttons quicker than others.  But we can walk in the Spirit to the point that we do not fulfill the lusts of the flesh (or its tantrums).

If temper is an issue for you, as it is for me, there are some things you can do.  I try to recognize when my temper is spiraling and not allow it full vent.  I try to prevent an all-out anger episode.  I create boundaries in my life.  There are things I simply will not allow myself to say, no matter how furious I am.  What boundaries do you need to erect? 

Another way to combat anger related problems is to confide in an accountability partner who will let you know when you are getting out  of control.  When you get serious about conquering anger, you will go to any lengths to avoid falling  into a fit of carnality.

A wise man controls himself.  Why?  Because he knows the fall-out is not worth it.  Because damage clean-up is messy business.  Because he walks in the wisdom of the Spirit.  When we sin internally, we sin between us and God. When we sin to others, or in front of others, then we have to make amends with the people and with God. Isn't it just easier to zip your lip?

Dear Lord, help me to be spirit-controlled, not controlled by my emotions.  Help me to walk in wisdom and to keep profanity, hurtful speech and carnal ways far from me.

 

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.