Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Fresh Freedom: Victory over Besetting Sin


 

            

Rom 7:17-25

 

But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! 18 I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. 19 I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. 20 My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.

21 It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. 22 I truly delight in God's commands, 23 but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.

24 I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?

25 The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.

(from THE MESSAGE)

 

God saved us to live a victorious life.  He freed us from the bondages of sin.  Unfortunately, many of us are still living with a bondage mindset.  We do not realize that we are free.  We continues to live as slaves.  Every morning we get up, we resolve to get through the day without ___ (your besetting sin here).  Today, I will not get angry, cuss and spew.  But you have already lost it by the time you make it to your desk at work.  You vow that you will not turn on the computers to look at the filth you have been looking at, but you feel isolated from your husband or wife and before you know it, you are right back at the same website you promised yourself you would never visit again.

 

Brothers and sisters in Christ, this should not be!!!! It is wrong.  We must quit making excuses and compromising and embrace the grace provided to live victoriously over sin!  It is not just your little problem.  It is not just something that you, your dad and your grandpa have always done.  If it does not line up with the Word of God, you are without excuse!  I  am without excuse.

Hear me.  You do not have the strength within yourself to change one thing about you.  Within our flesh is no overcoming power.  But in Him is all power, all strength, all anointing.  He can empower us to know what we should do and strengthen us to do it.  His grace is multiplied to us.  Not just for salvation, but so that we don't take a drink or even hit the chocolate when life overwhelms us. 

You can make a New Year's resolution, but without the help of the Holy Spirit, you do not have the tools that you need to make it.  Just because you are saved does not mean you will make it over your personal hurdle.  We get the help we need when we invite God into the situation.  As many times a day as we need to!  He wants us to acknowledge our reliance on Him. He is a gentlemen and will not force himself on you.  But He stands ready to help.  Won't you call on Him today?

Dear God, you know how I struggle with ____.  Please grant me the grace, wisdom and strength to overcome.    I confess that I do not have the power within myself and invite you into this situation.  Please deliver me, in Jesus' Name.  Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.