Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Unashamed


 

    

Rom 1:16

 

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

NKJV

When my son was little, I went with him to some school events- field trips, parents' day  at school, helping out in the classroom, etc.  When I asked him if he wanted me to come, he was quick to assure me that he did.  But when I would show up at school, he would  literally shrink down in his chair and refuse to look at me.  When I would talk to him, he would barely answer.  I am not going to lie to you- that hurt my feelings.  My own child was ashamed to be seen with me or associated with me.  Looking back, I recognize that he was just very bashful and did not want to do anything to draw attention to himself. 

At the time, I could not imagine why he would be ashamed of me.  I had always had a close relationship with him.  I did not baby him in front of others.  I  was always careful to be well-dressed and presentable.  He was ashamed of me for no apparent reason.

God is love.  He has our best interest at heart.  He moves mountains on our behalf.  He brings provision to us.  He offers us comfort and strength. How on Earth could we be ashamed of Him? 

Most of us would be quick to refuse the allegation of being ashamed of God or of His gospel.  But let's look a little closer.  Have you ever lowered your voice  out in public when speaking about God?  Have you been self-conscious to pray over your food in public- especially when others were not? What about when everyone else is condoning sin, and ask your opinion?

No matter whether we "lose face" with our friends or if we experience outright rejection for our beliefs, we should never be ashamed of God.  His gospel is what has freed us from darkness and brought us into life.  He hung on a cross for our sins.  Unashamed of His association with us. When, in truth, we are the ones who have behaved shamefully.

Christianity is becoming less and less politically correct.  People appear to have little tolerance for the beliefs of Christians.  But still, we must continue to boldly profess the good news- that Jesus has come to free us.  He has canceled our debt and offers salvation to all who will believe and receive. 

If we are ashamed of Him here, He will be ashamed of us before His Father.  I don't know about you, but I need Jesus to speak on my behalf.  I must be careful to speak for Him.  No matter what.

Dear Lord, please forgive me when I act in ways that I appear ashamed of my association with you.  Forgive me for the times that my behavior have disgraced Your Name.  Help me to have a bold testimony even among unbelievers.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.