Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Immeasurably More


 

 

 

    

Eph 3:20-21

 

20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

NIV

When my kids were younger, a toy store started sending out nifty Christmas wish books complete with stickers.  The stickers said something like "Number 1"; "Gotta Have!"; "I love this!"... you get the point.  Each book probably contained 20-25 stickers.  Being the cool mom that I am, I made sure that each of them got their own. That way they could place stickers on their top picks to help me with our shopping list, and of course, the Santa letter.  My oldest, who has always been a bit more discriminating only used 3 or 4 of his stickers.  Next thing you know, though, my middle son had gotten the oldest one to give him his residual stickers.  Suddenly, his wish list has morphed into something even the Trump's would question.

After that, I had to take him aside and explain that we just cannot ask for everything.  We must choose the things we really love the best.  And still he had to understand that he might not get all he asked for. In life, I have probably been guilty of adopting a similar attitude with God.  I have to ask Him for just a couple of things.  I do not need to overtax God, right?

This verse says that "he is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine."  Take a moment to think about that.  He is able.  He can do it- it is no problem for Him.  His power and ability is without limits.  But notice the next part...  He can do immeasurably more than all we ask.  Without measure.  Too great to be weighed or estimated.  That means I can never ask for anything too big or too hard. But that is not the end of it- He can do more than I can even imagine.  His thoughts are so much higher than mine.  His resources include things I have never even heard of.   That is why we can trust Him with our lives.  He knows things we will  never understand this side of heaven!

The final thing that leaps off the page to me is that it is according to His power that works in us.  His  power has already been loosed in the life of the believer.  What are we doing with that power?  Are we calling on it as we believe God for greater and greater things?  Or are we leaving it virtually untapped in our lives?

A note of balance.  God is sovereign and always has the right to "veto" a request that does not line up with His will or purpose for us.  As long  as we are  surrendering our desires to His written Word and will, the sky is the limit!  We can take the limits off of God and ask for the immeasurably greater things!

 

Dear Lord, forgive me for putting limits on You through doubt and unbelief.  Increase my view of You and my faith as well.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.