Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Friday, July 27, 2012

Lasting Love


“Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails.”  I Corinthians 13 4-8a


How is your love life?  Does it match up the description of love we just read?  Does your mate, parents, children, friends, etc., treat you as this outlines?  Do you give out to them the type of love reflected in this passage?

I always read these verses as beautiful poetry.  It flows so beautifully, it is no wonder that this passage is frequently included in weddings.  But when I start dissecting each attribute of love listed here, I must confess I quickly become overwhelmed and condemned by the tall order that it is- and how short I often fall.

So many of the aspects of love listed in these verses are almost antiquated these days.  In our fast food society, patience is not readily practiced.  Being proud, rude and self-seeking has almost become a part of the American dream.  You deserve the best in life, no matter what it takes to get to the top- this mindset is the opposite of walking in love.

Keeping a record of wrongs is a sure fire way to fall out of love with someone, regardless of your relationship.  We all fall short.  We all have irritating habits and traits.  We must not focus on these things if we want our love life to live up to God’s standards.

“It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails.”  In our very conditional and temporary society, we have lost the endurance of love.  To live this type of love life takes dedication, prayer, commitment and fortitude. Parenthood is one of the most challenging relationships on earth- but love does not give up.  Marriage waxes and wanes in regards to mushy feelings- but the kind spoken about in these verses is a foundation in which to stand your ground during the difficult seasons.

Do the people in your life have an example of love that they can look at and follow?  It is my prayer that my life and relationships epitomize the qualities set forth in I Corinthians 13, the love chapter of the Bible.

Tomorrow my father-in-law and mother-in-law will celebrate 50 years of marriage.  It is a beautiful thing when two people commit to each other and to what it takes to make a marriage successful and enduring.  Congratulations Marlin and Yvonne Evans!  May you have at least another 25 years!

Lord, help me to live a life of love.  Help me to not seek selfishly to use relationships to make me happy, but rather help me to serve those in my life.  Help me to protect, trust, hope and persevere.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.